Friday, May 25, 2007

Special places

I sat on my screen porch last night and caught up on my magazine reading...yes I still had bookwork to do, could fold some laundry, and put some laundry away!!! BUT...I chose to relax. Not a choice I make very often or very easily. I like to stay busy. I like to be on the move. I can't go to the movies very often...that is way too long to be sitting doing nothing in my opinion. I've been accused of keeping this constant motion so I don't have to think. THAT is so NOT true. I am always thinking. I wish I could stop...but I am ALWAYS thinking. Too much. Ideas, thoughts, to do lists, excerpts from books, numbers, images...it's a tornado in my brain at all times. So sitting and just being takes sooo much effort it almost isn't worth the extreme labor it takes. BUT...I have some special places that I find I can stop and settle in the moment for nanosecond or two. My screen porch is one of those places. Evening is best since there are fans to move the air and I purchased an outdoor lamp. I have some lumpy chairs that squeak a little when I move and a coffee table to put my feet up on. Feet up is a signal to my body to relax I guess. I have tons of pictures I have taken of me at my special places...and my feet are what I take the picture of. There is a picture of my feet next to Shannons in San Luis Obispo, Megs feet with mine at the Nutcracker Ballet, My painted toes with my friend Hollys at the SF Garden show...and some of just my happy feet in one of my favorite special places-The deck at Lake Almanor!!!! I have this one corner of the deck where I position my chair just so, I can put my coffee cup right next to me (or Wine at night). Between my toes I can see the peninsula. In the early mornings there is fog that swirls at that point. I give my toes a visual massage with the fog swirls curling in the background. I can sit there undiscovered for hours if I get up early enough. I start with a blanket wrapped around me. Then I shed the layers. By the time everyone else starts to stir I am down to my jammies sunning my toes in the sun. That place for me is where I relax and am actually in the moment for a brief, brief time...

2 comments:

Steven said...

Give up on the "not thinking" quest. Won't happen. I know. I've wished for that for years and still the buzz persists.

Moving? Sorry. Another curse. I will make 20 right turns and go out of my way by 20 miles rather than WAIT to make a left turn.

Movies, doctors and barbers...way too much sitting and doing nothing!

Love ya!
dad

Shannon said...

Almanor is am amazng place, the thinking here gets a little more clear, with a lot more focus on what is really important. Of course that is in my completely biased opinion. Glad you could come up (and break my thumb) to enjoy the moment. I'll be here all summer!!!