Monday, June 25, 2007

Best things in life...

Sometimes the best things in life are free...that has been my belief, well...always...I just came in the house from picking peaches and I am fully convinced of that truth now more than ever!!! Two years ago my friend Holly called to tell me her neighbor had purchased a bunch of bareroot fruit trees, but had realized he didn't have enough room for all of them, would I want some? I do not turn down too many plants...let alone free plants. Fruit trees had been planted here by the original owners but with the growth of the landscaping trees (one dozen sycamores, 1/2 dozen willows, two HUMONGOUS Cottonwoods, and a rogue elm or two...sun was scarce. The PG&E bill is wonderful...but fruit trees have struggled. I took a couple of apples out...yes...sometimes you have to say goodbye to a plant or tree that just doesn't perform. The remaining sad peach trees, the nectarine I misplanted, the pear tree from a poor nursery (right down the road from the house), the two cherries that pick and choose how they will perform, the fabulous pomegranates, and that was the extent of fruit at this place...an acre and a half of prime ag land...I needed more...I planted a grape...ugh...it was not seedless as labled and as beautiful as it sounds...it loves to eat orange trees. The orange tree...never sure what it is...sometimes it tastes great...sometimes...I pick and chuck them to the goat...the blueberrries died...NOT thinking they can be grown here...despite the boasts of many hybridizers...it's Chico...and it's hot!!!! Planted another mandarin...NOT seedless again despite the labeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So...I planted those little sticks (ever seen a bareroot tree naked?). Ok...put those little trees out. Ok...I put them wayyyyyy out. Put them near Meghan's field of dreams (the softball field in the back created for her). Put them along the fence line...knowing there was no way I was going to run irrigation out here...but the neighbors irrigate about 5 feet from the fence line every week or so. I babied them the first year. I ran the hose out there and talked to the cows in the neighbor's field. This year I bought the Plant Barn...SOOOOO....I never made it out there. I never checked on them...I never watered them. I forgot they existed!!! Sooo...yesterday I checked on them...three trees planted very closely (my neighbor thought they were too close) I mentioned that you can actually plant three altogether in one hole...which I would have but when I rec'd them they seemed a little too far gone for such an experiment. Sooo...again... I checked on them...one has fire blight...I am convinced Pears will not make it on this land, one has a few apricots...but the peach...ohmygosh...I had a skirt on and I loaded up...I probably harvested about 10 lbs before I realized...I need to get to work!!! I fretted all day... hoping I could harvest soon before they were ruined. Did you know that birds know the exact time of perfect harvest for all fruit???? They do...they can strip a cherry tree at harvest time in less than an hour...and it will be an hour that NOONE is awake at!!! So when I got home...I did some chores and cleaning...and it was still hot...so I waited...I headed out at dusk...That silly lab puppy came with me and kept picking up the fallen peaches...I bet I harvested 25 lbs plus...I ate some too. They are sweet and warm when you harvest them...Picking a peach at dusk and eating it has to be the best dessert anyone has ever tasted. You can't help but end up with juice down your chin and all over your fingers. You are warm...but the fruit is sooooo sweet, so perfect...I don't even like peach fuzz, but eating them fresh off the tree is such a perfect event you never notice the fuzz...I am going to make cobbler, and freeze some for future smoothies, and I may make some jam...they are the best peaches I have EVER tasted. Perfect in size, flavor, and the timing could not be more perfect...I needed to be reminded today...that the best things in life are free!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true! I had to do the orchard mowing thing yesterday afternoon and that was when I noticed that the Red Haven peaches were ripe...well, some were ripe. After mowing, I took my basket back out to the tree and loaded up! Red Haven's are the best! Pears? Fire blight of course. Apricots? Lots of them, but missing the really sweet flavor that comes when there are only a few. Cherries? Best year ever and the birds never touched them. I hung old CD's in the trees.

Home orchards are definitely a classic tale of great rewards after much sorrow...

Sheesha said...

I miss you......

Sheesha said...

I'm still missing you....!