Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Disposable socks

I did my quarterly? Semi quarterly? Sock sorting. I have this problem. I don't mind sorting laundry, washing it, putting it in the dryer and even grabbing the warm bundle out of the dryer (burying my face in and smelling the softener and warming my cheeks) and then tossing it on the bed...this is where I start getting bored and distracted...even if I make it through the folding process that next step looms ahead and I...well I procrastinate. I work on the next load to be washed, I clean the lint holder, I get a drink of water, I see the sink needs to be scrubbed, then I think maybe I should cut some flowers for the kitchen, then I look for my clippers and realize I should sort the recycleables. I take out the recycleables and see that the plants by the barn need water. Weeding is always an option...soooo....that laundry stays until I need to go to bed...then I am tired...so I place it on the window seat...the socks...well they go in the basket to be sorted...soon...well when I need a pair...I wear my Keenes alot these days so the sock pile sits. I get the basket out for sorting here and there...why is it there are so few matches? Well...I should wait for another day and sort when there are more matches, surely they will all be there when I do more laundry? Where would socks go? They must be in the next load??? I resolved to match them all this week and started my piles...darks, lights, athletic socks, dress socks, printed socks...that black sock with the red roosters...surely it's match will be found today??? I began to realize that the piles were growing but very few matches were being made...but it's been months since I did this heavy sorting...surely all the socks have been washed??? My little one Meghan for all her type A tendencies and influences (not from me) shares my aversion to sock matching...she mentioned one day...why can't we just have disposable socks??? How wasteful I thought??? Haven't I brought her up believing everything in the world can be recycled??? Hello??? She was yard sailing before she was born!!! I am the queen of recycling...everything has a use until it is nearly gone and there is very little to be seen of it...But...I sat there with those piles and realized I was holding on to some silly things...a single sock that had a heel that was nearly transparent...a green sock that was just a mistake to buy in the first place...Plus...there were so many...I have two feet and most of the time I prefer to be barefoot...why so many socks??? Let go I heard myself say...But...but...maybe I could use them for dusting? Maybe I could make toys for the dogs? Wash the cars with socks????? Hmm...Let go...so I did...I gathered the pile and walked directly back to the laundry room...and ceremoniously dumped them in the trash can. Whew...it felt good...I have been in a mucking out frame of mind lately. Letting go of things that just aren't of use anymore, or have been a source of frustration or pain, or simply never going to fit me regardless of how hard I try. Missing socks won't come back after a certain amount of time has passed and that is ok. I don't believe we should have disposable socks...although it sounds fabulous at times...I do believe that sometimes you just have to let go of things...which can be scary...I really need to take the trash out...just so I don't go digging in and pulling out that black sock with the roosters...it's mate is gone and it's time to move on...maybe I can find some socks that match my bike basket liner????????

6 comments:

Sheesha said...

Yeah! Good for you sistah! I've been in the purge mode too lately! I'm figuring if I haven't touched in the 12 years we've been here - I don't need it....Couch anyone?....

Shannon said...

Thank you so much for passing on the "putting-away-laundry procrastination" disease. Ugh. Well, at least my car doesn't look like yours... our compasses did point in different directions! Thank you again for that...

Anonymous said...

It must be the season...but why? It may be Spring officially, but it sure doesn't feel like it. I guess the Spring Cleaning Syndrome doesn't look at the thermometer.

Along the same line; the Chico library gave us 3 truckloads of books the other day and asked their patrons to STOP donating for awhile. They were overwhelmed with donated books.

What do library books and socks have in common? I have no idea, I was simply rambling.

Anonymous said...

I wasn’t able to comment on your blog yesterday. It says that anonymous comments are not allowed. Anyway, just wanted you to know how much I enjoy reading it. This is what I was trying to post. “Who would have thought a story of socks could be so entertaining?? But I guess it was really as story of hanging on to the important things and letting the rest go. Loved it.”
Keep up the writing .......you are good at it. I have been enjoying Shannon’s and Alicia’s writings as well. I can’t believe we have so much talent in the family. Erin likes reading them too. I always feel like I just had a nice visit with all of you.

Anonymous said...

When I was young my father would never mess with the mating of socks!!! When I ran out he would reach in his wallet and hand me a bill and have me run down to JC Penneys and grab another weeks worth. It was always expected to get more then a weeks worth of milege out of each pair. See a six-pack used to last a couple of weeks!!! Now a six pack is gone in a couple of laughs with friends!!!

Anonymous said...

I guess that's the meaning of disposable socks!!! CHEERS!!!