Monday, June 4, 2007

What's ahead...

So...me on my new bike...well...it seemed like enough adventure??? But me being me...had to set out on another. Bought a kayak. Hmmm...kind of a random purchase??? Well...sort of. Miss Megs took a water sports camp last year which was my first introduction to the world of kayaking. At the end of the session she toured around with me at Lake Oroville's forebay, or afterbay I never remember which is which...just know how to drive there. I was so impressed with her skills. She showed me how to get in, how to steer, and just how to glide along in the water. I sat behind her and watched, and did my best to put the oars in when needed and tried not to "mess up". It was amazing to float along...knowing it was up to us to get us where we needed to go...and back. I watched her shoulders tense and relax and met that rythym as best as I was able on the way back in. We giggled and splashed and floated along. I love my time at the cabin in Almanor and fill it with reading, walking, swimming, sleeping, drinking and eating. But thought...what else can we do here? At the end of the season last year I went for a mini vacation with my friends Rebecca, Dan and Nancy. There we were...right next door to where I have been vacationing for almost 20 years...RIGHT next door. Nancy's family owns the cabin next to the Ahlswedes!!! One of the evenings there we decided to go on an adventure. It was almost dusk. Nancy's cousin's gave us permission to take there kayaks out...so there we were...headed for the island!!! You can glide along in a kayak...with no goal in mind...or paddle furiously to reach the goal. We did it all. We laughed at the different ways we all paddled. Rebecca paddled hard and true...not sure where she was headed. Dan...headed out...straight and strong...being the leader then falling back. Nancy paddled fast and furious...panting in between. I paddled sometimes fast, sometimes slow...making my way...in my own way. We all made it to the island and back. We giggled and laughed and pushed ourselves here and there. At times we all stopped paddling and just floated. It is sooooo quiet on the lake at dusk in comparison to all the busy-ness during the day. The lake is smooth as glass at that time. Not knowing when it would be completely dark was also a factor we all had at the back of our minds. Would we be out in the water when it got dark? What if a boat came by? What if we couldn't find each other? Where exactly was the shore? It all added up to a fun little adventure...that hooked me to the world of kayaking...and I haven't even ventured into the world of white water kayaking!!! My new kayak and I have many adventures ahead...but in the meantime...I had sooo much fun with Shannon, Meghan, and my sister on it...too much fun...eh sister??? Wet velour is such a great look on you??? Shannon even got to see the lake from the view she has always ridiculed..."mom...you know what I always hate when I am at the lake????? 'kayakers' "...We both giggled at that and then splashed each other...how is your thumb now kiddo??? Then I heard just how much fun Sheesha's family had with the kayak this weekend...and I got to watch Kyle and his dad paddling in sync last weekend...concentrating on moving forward together...their paddles seemed to be tied together...even if they were at two different levels. It was if they were conversing with out a word...Not sure where I am headed these days...on my kayak, on my bike, in my life...but as Shannon says...ready for an adventure...and yes...I am a little scared...

6 comments:

Steven said...

ya know...this would be a great place to insert a photo or two. Maybe a shot of you paddling (or drifting) into the setting sun?

Kitty said...

We did some kayaking some years back and had so much fun. We were going to buy a kayak but never made the plunge. I am sure you will be glad you did it! Never wait.....it may be too late.

Shannon said...

No, what I said was, "You know what I hate when I am on the lake wakeboarding?" - "KAYAKERS!!!". Oh well, I had fun, and I plan on stealing it away some weeknights... if it would just stop snowing!!!

Sheesha said...

Yeah! We had so much fun playing with it....The kids love it - and so does Kevin. He spent 3 1/2 hours fishing in it the other morning. When I got up at 6 am he was already out in the middle of the lake - he didn't want anyone gouching his hole! And shall we clarify again that I was already in the kayak before it toppeled over!

Erin said...

You don't need a picture, I can see it perfectly in my head ...from your beautiful writing! Love your blog, makes it seem like it hasn't been 10 years since we've seen each other! Miss You!

Erin

Michelle M said...

Now that's the kind of kayaking i could consider giving a try... It's the crazy river-rafting kayaking we see up here that's just too much for me!